guix-devel

Re: Advice about GuixSD on Serveraptor?

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Advice about GuixSD on Serveraptor?
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 21:35:10 -0700

ng0 <address@hidden> writes:

> If IN-Berlin uses (or needs) nothing special for the consoleserver to
> make use of the virtual servers within IN-Berlin infrastructure, I think
> it would be best if we (as Guix) could provide an extended bare image
> for servers which would include ssh-daemon on default port with password
> login enabled, where the password is not empty. That's a workaround I
> can imagine to be generic enough for all use cases.
> For the one of IN-Berlin and maybe similar hosters who use ssh pubkeys,
> it would be great to document for them how to recreate this image in
> easy steps and insert the clients ssh pubkey for the root account (or an
> named user) on the system.
>
> What do you think about this?

Instead of providing a pre-built image of a specific system with
pre-built credentials, wouldn't it be better to add a feature that, in
the spirit of a command like 'guix disk-image', builds an entire system
that can then be imported as-is into IN-Berlin?

In general, such a feature would be useful.  One can imagine leveraging
a feature like this to import custom GuixSD systems into various hosting
services - Amazon EC2, Rackspace, wherever.  Instead of starting with a
pre-built image that might be hard to reproduce or verify, and then
mutating that system to suit your needs, you could just import the exact
system that you want to deploy.  Wouldn't that be better?

--
Chris