guix-devel

Planning for the next release

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Planning for the next release
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:37:47 +0200

Hello Guix!

It’s time to plan for the next release!  Here’s what we maintainers
think should be done for the next release, which would hopefully happen
within less than a month:

   1. ‘core-updates’ merged.  We’re almost there!

   2. ‘wip-installer’ retested, and probably merged.

      I think the prerequisite for it would be to do some more testing.
      Last time people reported glitches here and there but John has
      done quite a bit of work since then.  John: what about doing
      another round of tests?

      In the installation image, we should probably make the installer
      optional and mark it as “beta” or something like that.  That will
      leave us time to iron out remaining issues, and will avoid having
      people expect a rock-solid Debian-style installer.

      As far as review is concerned, we can probably do a quick and
      lightweight review process since that’s quite a big chunk of code
      and we don’t want the branch to block indefinitely.  So we can do
      that quick process, and then incrementally improve it if needed.
      I think it’s a reasonable approach given that the installer is
      mostly an independent component.

      John, everyone: thoughts?

   3. UEFI support documented and possibly improved.

      We can certainly document the UEFI setup and add the /boot/efi
      partition in some of the ‘operating-system’ examples.

      The more difficult part is the installation: do we need to make a
      second, UEFI-specific, installation image?  When I installed
      GuixSD on UEFI, I booted our installation image as “legacy”, but
      then GRUB would default to a legacy install, not a UEFI install:

        https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-12/msg00799.html

      I’m not sure exactly what needs to be done.  Thoughts?

   4. Fix low-hanging fruits at <https://bugs.gnu.org/guix>; your help
      welcome!

Please share your thoughts!

Ludo’.