guix-devel

Re: Continuing the work on the recipes related to GNU Ring

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: Continuing the work on the recipes related to GNU Ring
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 16:05:23 -0300

About sending patches for each package definition separatedly: Will do!
:)

However, I'd like to refrain from doing it now while the package's
specific configure/make/build options in their "rules.mak" files aren't
addressed clearly. This is an ongoing discussion at:
[[http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/ring/2017-03/msg00005.html]].

Some people contributed with useful information. However, the custom
options for pjsip/pjproject are still somewhat unclear for me (except
for the `--with-ssl=gnutls` option, which is related to "gnutls" patch,
and for which if they were to use OpenSSL, there would be a licensing
issue, according to replies to a bug report referenced in the
discussion).

Of course, if Guix project wants to, I can make the set of recipes into
separated patches anyways, with all customizations applied anyways, and
still watch for that discussion. However, due to the amount of patches
and since I don't have confirmation that the patches are being sent to
Ring's upstreams, I would still have to decide between:

a. Taking Ring's patches and registering them formerly at
   "gnu/packages/patches" directory (and related files), and then use
   apply-patch and similar procedures. This would allow better control
   of which patches are applied, but future version upgrades for the
   packages would need testing to see if the patches were applied.

b. Leave the phases that deal with patches as they are. This would allow
   future patches to be picked up as long as the temporary
   "savoir-faire-linux-patches" package definitions are updated
   accordingly, but might also cause future upgrades to not have the
   patches applied (because the custom phases name the patches that are
   wanted).

Personally, I'm more towards choosing (a). But I would like other's
opinions.

Respectfully, Adonay.
--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com