guix-devel

Re: "Perfect Setup" for hacking on Nix?

From: Thomas Danckaert
Subject: Re: "Perfect Setup" for hacking on Nix?
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 08:36:56 +0200 (CEST)

From: address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2017 11:33:16 +0200

I have sometimes found myself looking at the Nix source code that is
embedded in the Guix repository.  However, I don't have a lot of
experience with C++, so I don't really know how I should set up my
development environment for hacking on (or just browsing) that code.

So, what's the "Perfect Setup" for hacking on Nix?

Good question! :-) I use Emacs without any of the fancy things. M-x compile, M-x grep, M-x rgrep, xgtags.el (for GNU GLOBAL tags) are good
enough for me.

That said, I’d be happy to hear about new tricks! Does Semantic work
well these days?

I'm quite happy with it (have been, for a number of years already!).
It's code analysis is not perfect (e.g. it doesn't always distinguish
different symbols with the same name), but helps a lot.  It can take
you to function definitions and declarations, show all uses of a
function or variable, display function signatures etc.

I did have to disable Semantic for Scheme buffers, like this:

(add-to-list 'semantic-inhibit-functions
             (lambda () (member major-mode '(scheme-mode))))

Otherwise, I get constant debugger prompts from the semantic parser
when working with (Guile) Scheme files.  I didn't submit a bug report
so far, because I'm not sure if it's purely a bug in Semantic, or if
there's some interference with Geiser.

For really excellent code analysis of even very messy C and C++ code,
I recommend KDevelop (I tend to use it just to explore and find my way around a code base, and then use Emacs for actual editing).

Thomas