guix-devel

Re: 'guix build' and garbage collection

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: 'guix build' and garbage collection
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2017 20:47:06 -0700

> Hi!
>
> Chris Marusich <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Do you know why the intensional model hasn't been deployed in the 11
>> years since the thesis was published?  To learn more, I can think of a
>> few places to look (Nix email lists, other Nix-related research papers),
>> but if you have specific recommendations, it would be helpful!
>
> The intensional model (content-address item) works well if and only if
> packages are 100% bit-reproducible, which they are not (yet!).
>
> Also I’m not sure how substitutes could work with this model since one
> cannot refer to the build result until it’s available.

FYI, section 6.4.4 (p. 157) of Eelco's thesis describes how substitution
works in the intensional model.  When performing substitution for a
store path p, if a trusted substitute for p has been registered, then it
is tried, and the substitution is considered successful if and only if
the output's content-addressed store path equals p.

If I learn more about why Nix doesn't use the intensional model, I'll
let you know.

--
Chris