guix-devel

Re: how to "install" guixsd on a digitalocean server

From: ng0
Subject: Re: how to "install" guixsd on a digitalocean server
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 14:31:11 +0000

Andy Wingo transcribed 1.0K bytes:
> Hi :)
>
> On Fri 07 Apr 2017 16:04, myglc2 <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 04/07/2017 at 14:07 Andy Wingo writes:
> >
> >> I just "installed" GuixSD on a DigitalOcean droplet.  You can't actually
> >> install GuixSD; you have to mutate an existing installation into
> >> GuixSD.  But fine.
> > [...]
> >
> > I upgraded Debian to GuixSD on a physical server in a similar way ...
> >
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00354.html
> >
> > ... but I used 'guix system init' instead of 'guix system reconfigure'.
> >
> > I wonder, could that approach have been used in this situation to avoid
> > the need to "clean up the remaining Debian bits"?
>
> Neat.  For me the answer is, I don't know :)  I thought with guix system
> init you had to do a bunch of partitiony type things?  Certainly if I
> had a blank scratch space I could do that.
>
> In hindsight it is something of a miracle that "reconfigure" worked on a
> previously non-GuixSD system.  Strange.  I will accept it though :)
>
> Andy

Okay, you have to provide a config.scm and you have to have root or
sudo, in which case you already have the rights to cause total
destruction on the machine... but should we point that out that it is
possible to "accidentally" run a succesful guix system init on a system
which is let's say Debian or whatever, ever if it is just for curiosity
of discovery?
And why would we point it out? Is there any harm in it or do we trust
sudo/root users to know that this can happen?