guix-devel

Re: gnu: add you-get

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: gnu: add you-get
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 10:55:09 +0200

Hi Feng Shu,

Thanks or contributing to Guix !

This patch for you-download is almost good, just a few notes:

+(define-public you-get
+  (package
+    (name "you-get")
+    (version "0.4.652")
+    (source (origin
+              (method url-fetch)
+              (uri (string-append
+                    "https://github.com/soimort/you-get/releases/download/v"
+                    version "/you-get-" version ".tar.gz"))
+              (sha256
+               (base32
+                "0brkz98lycx8mmxjwmn7jlhqfdbvl0hy070n7skwr1k75kh99q30"))))
+    (build-system python-build-system)
+    (arguments '(#:tests? #f))

In the source code I can find no tests. But a comment about tests absence, here, would be preferable.

Would you mind to add it ?

Also, on the home page of this project I see that Ffmpeg or libva are dependencies but the are no inputs or propagated inputs in this package definition

I didn't try to run this package but I suppose it won't run properly.
Am I wrong ?

+    (synopsis "Download videos, audios or images from the websites")
+    (description
+     "you-get is a tiny command-line utility, which can download media
+contents (videos, audios, images) from the Web, in case there is no other
+handy way to do it.")
+    (home-page "https://you-get.org/")
+    (license license:expat)))

I downloaded the tarball from git and the source files in the folder "cli_wrapper" are empty.

Both Gedit and nano can read no lines

Some files have a size of 0
Others are extremely small

I don't know what this could be.

Can you confirm that instead they are correctly written ?

Or are they empty or you too ?

Also, you should add a line about copyright attribution to yourself.
At the beginning of the file there are many lines like this

;;; Copyright © 2017 humanitiesNerd <address@hidden>

You should add one or yourself.
As you can see, niknames are ok ;-)

Would you send a new patch with these suggestions integrated ?

Thanks and welcome !