guix-devel

Having trouble packaging DefaultEncrypt for Emacs

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Having trouble packaging DefaultEncrypt for Emacs
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2017 17:21:40 -0700

Hi,

I'm trying to package DefaultEncrypt:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DefaultEncrypt

I've made a package definition (see attached patch), and it builds
without error.  I've installed it into my user profile.  Per the
documentation, I've added the following to my ~/.emacs:

  (require 'jl-encrypt)

However, when I start Emacs, I get the following warning:

Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
‘/home/marusich/.emacs’:

File error: Cannot open load file, No such file or directory, jl-encrypt

Why is this happening?  How can I fix it?  I'm still a bit of an Emacs
newbie, so maybe there's an obvious solution I'm unaware of.

I've also noticed that the elisp file gets installed with the name
"jl-encrypt.el.el", which seems weird, but I don't know if that's
related to the preceding issue:

$ tree -a $(./pre-inst-env guix build --rounds=2 --keep-failed
emacs-default-encrypt)
/gnu/store/3dcbalb6zgc7a7iizni3hyzy6llb6c6p-emacs-default-encrypt-4.3
└── share
    └── emacs
        └── site-lisp
            └── guix.d
                └── default-encrypt-4.3
                    ├── default-encrypt-autoloads.el
                    ├── jl-encrypt.el.el
                    └── jl-encrypt.el.elc

Why does the ".el" suffix appear twice?  Is it causing the preceding
problem?  I tried changing

  (require 'jl-encrypt)

  (require 'jl-encrypt.el)

but it didn't fix the problem.

I don't know why the require statement is failing, and I don't know why
the elisp file is being installed with an ".el.el" suffix.  I'd love to
use this module and package it for everyone, so if you have any advice,
please let me know.  Thank you in advance!

--
Chris