guix-devel

Re: G-Expressions for boot-parameters or grub-configuration-file ?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: G-Expressions for boot-parameters or grub-configuration-file ?
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 11:57:05 +0200

Hi Mathieu,

> Here's a sligtly modified version of your patch that works for "guix
> reconfigure", I didn't tried any other use-cases.

Thanks! I can confirm that it works for that use-case.

I think it would be a possible way to get a handle on the "--load" complexity.
Since it's not possible to store the store reference into the content-addressed
"parameters" file this synthesizes it in the procedure that reads from the file.

Also, "--load" is not grub-specific - so having it inside the grub handler
module in the first place was ... weird.

What do you think of this approach?

Still open is to make sure that the following doesn't happen (although it
didn't happen to me yet so far):
1. read-boot-parameters-file prepends "--load" (etc)
2. guix stores the result into the "parameters" file
3. on the next "system reconfigure", read-boot-parameters-file reads it from
the "parameters" file and prepends "--load" again, giving two sets of "--load"
in the result.  I think this would eventually lead to ever-changing hash values.

> I switched operating-system-boot-parameters into a monadic procedure,
> because operating-system-initrd-file is also a monadic procedure.

Yes, thanks!

> I'll send a new version of my patch set soon taking your remarks into
> account.

Okay.  I'll review it.