guix-devel

Re: potluck in the house

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: potluck in the house
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 08:49:10 +0200

On Fri 14 Apr 2017 14:54, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>> I think we should make it so that the lower-potluck-package process
>> prefers "core" packages if available, and only goes to the channel if
>> the core does not provide a package matching the specification.
>>
>> I think this is a question for the design of channels though: how to
>> resolve dynamically scoped (specification->package) links in the
>> presence of channels.
>
> ‘specification->package’ already transparently handles things in
> GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH, so I suspect it wouldn’t be very different.
>
> WDYT?

I don't know.  I see a danger if person A makes a potluck package for
that depends on Guile, and person B makes a potluck package for some
development version of Guile with a later version number.  Person A (and
person A's users) probably don't expect to be using a development
Guile, so the specifications in person A's package should probably *not*
resolve person B's guile as the "best" one.  See what I'm saying?
Tricky stuff.  A hierarchy of potential sources sounds best to me so
that specification->package only looks for "guile" in the potluck
GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH if it's not found (possibly with the version
constraint) in the "main" GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH.

Andy