guix-devel

Idea: mailman service (free for FOSS projects)

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Idea: mailman service (free for FOSS projects)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 10:23:36 +0000

Hi all,

I am looking for mailman hosting for a bunch of mailing lists. There
are commercial hosters but they usually charge per list and you get no
access to the host itself. Mailman hosting is non-trivial, you need a
chain of tools and (in)sane handling of SPAM. Also the setup needs to
be secure and capable of updates. I have some experience and ideas
here, but it is a bit much to do on my own.

I am thinking in this age of VPS' we could create a deployable Guix
instance which people can roll out by themselves with some guarantee
that it is safe and secure. There are also organisations willing to
fork out some money to outsource their mailing lists. Basically a
markup for running software on top of a running VPS (or maybe our own
array of pi servers ;)

Since we are the masters of deployment anyone interested building up a
little business this way? After mailman there could be git hosting,
etc. We can create FOSS solutions which do not depend on single
providers, an answer to people using Google Groups now, or github.

Pj.