guix-devel

Re: Idea: mailman service (free for FOSS projects)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Idea: mailman service (free for FOSS projects)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 22:34:18 +0200

Heya!

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> I am thinking in this age of VPS' we could create a deployable Guix
> instance which people can roll out by themselves with some guarantee
> that it is safe and secure. There are also organisations willing to
> fork out some money to outsource their mailing lists. Basically a
> markup for running software on top of a running VPS (or maybe our own
> array of pi servers ;)
>
> Since we are the masters of deployment anyone interested building up a
> little business this way? After mailman there could be git hosting,
> etc. We can create FOSS solutions which do not depend on single
> providers, an answer to people using Google Groups now, or github.

I agree with this vision!  I think OS declarations make this pretty
simple (this and also specialized distros à la FreedomBox, Tails, etc.,
but that’s another story.)

ng0 packaged a whole bunch of Mailman’s and Kallithea’s (source code
hosting) dependencies already:

  https://bugs.gnu.org/25733
  https://bugs.gnu.org/25736

Ludo’.