guix-devel

Re: Idea: setting up a company [formerly 'ethical hosting' [formerly mai

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Idea: setting up a company [formerly 'ethical hosting' [formerly mailman service (free for FOSS projects)]]
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 08:52:11 +0000

Pjotr Prins transcribed 1.3K bytes:
> > For the record, YunoHost develops such a Web interface that allows
> > people to select services to run on their machine:
> >
> >   https://yunohost.org/
> >
> > It’s designed to drive a Debian system, but I guess making something
> > similar for GuixSD would be easier.  We could have Exim, Mailman,
> > MediaGoblin, and all that!
> >
> > > No consulting required unless something goes wrong. So we need to
> > > probably factor in monitoring and minimal support for paying clients.
> >
> > Heh, sounds like a plan.  :-)
> >
> > Thanks for the brainstorming session!
>
> Now I have a crazy idea. I propose to set up a company that targets
> 'ethical hosting'. We'll design that company to be fair. Every step
> will happen online and anyone can participate. It will be both an
> experiment - as a company, an opportunity for people to earn and give
> back, and a guide for geeks to set up their own. This is an
> interesting age with people working from different countries on FOSS
> projects, funding schemes like crowd sourcing, and plenty ideas. What
> seems to be missing is is a guide for individuals to start up.

Yeah, that was exactly my impression when I've started looking into
what I'm doing, although not with the very same motivation or goal.

Like I told you offlist, we could use the gnunet.org mumble server
to shape the idea(s) and solve questions like funding etc.

--
PGP and more: https://people.pragmatique.xyz/ng0/