guix-devel

Re: ld-wrapper is broken in core-updates due to guile-2.2 (host running

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: ld-wrapper is broken in core-updates due to guile-2.2 (host running guile-2.0)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 00:02:01 +0200

Hello,

Sergei Trofimovich <address@hidden> skribis:

> Efraim noticed core-updates breakage on package libgpg-error.
>
> TL;DR:
>
>   ld-wrapper package embeds guile-2.2 interpreter
>   to interpret ld.go bytecode built by guile-2.0.
>   I have no idea how to fix it but still decided to
>   share my findings so far.
>
> Longer story:

[...]

> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/base.scm#n458
>
> (define* (make-ld-wrapper name #:key
>                           (target (const #f))
>                           binutils
>                           (guile (canonical-package guile-2.0))
>                           (bash (canonical-package bash))
>                           (guile-for-build guile))
>     (arguments
>      (let ((target (target (%current-system))))
>        `(#:guile ,guile-for-build
>          #:modules ((guix build utils))
>          #:builder (begin
>                        (chmod ld #o555)
>                        (compile-file ld #:output-file go))))))
>
> Which guile is being used here for compile-file? 'build-for-build'
> or current host's guile? Looks like the requirement here is that
> both mush be of the same version.

Indeed, good catch!  You were on the right track.

I believe this is fixed by this commit:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=core-updates&id=78dea6f1d4a85dd9571ccbd604239912ba3a18b8

The problem here is that ‘ld-wrapper’ in commencement.scm was defined in
such a way that #:guile and #:guile-for-build did not match, so we ended
up compiling with 2.0 (%bootstrap-guile) and running with 2.2
(guile-final).

Thank you!

Ludo’.