guix-devel

Re: certbot service experience

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: certbot service experience
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 21:35:06 -0500

[-bug]

Chris Marusich writes:

> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>  - I was surprised that I was prompted for an email while doing guix
>>    system reconfigure
>
> That does seem odd.  Why were you prompted for an email address?  Can
> that be fixed somehow?

It's the certbot initial-setup script firing off here.  The email
address is given so you can be notified for security updates, etc.
Maybe recovery?  Don't remember about that last bit.

>>   2) Enable the certbot-service-type (and mcron-service-type if you
>>      haven't already):
>>
>>        (service certbot-service-type
>>                 (certbot-configuration
>>                  ;; Replace these with your own domain and web root
>>                  (hosts '("test.activitypub.rocks"))
>>                  (webroot "/srv/activitypub.rocks/site/")))
>>        ;; if you don't have an mcron service already
>>        (service mcron-service-type)
>
> Where is the certbot-service-type defined?  I couldn't find it in the
> master branch.  Also, why is mcron required?  I don't know much about
> LetsEncrypt, but I thought certbot was a one-time thing that you do
> manually...  Why is it a "service" here?

It's not in the master branch is why.  I was looking at the
wip-git-https branch. :)  I think it's also in the wip-potluck branch.

It's extending the mcron service so it can install an auto-update rule
for you, which is pretty cool!

>>   3) Okay hopefully that went successfully!  It should say.  Assuming it
>>      did, *now* we can add the keys appropriately to the nginx config.
>>
>>        (service nginx-service-type
>>                 (nginx-configuration
>>                  (server-blocks
>>                   (list
>>                    (nginx-server-configuration
>>                     ;; Again, adjust to your site
>>                     (server-name '("test.activitypub.rocks"))
>>                     (root "/srv/activitypub.rocks/site/")
>>                     (ssl-certificate
>>
>> "/etc/letsencrypt/live/test.activitypub.rocks/fullchain.pem")
>>                     (ssl-certificate-key
>>
>> "/etc/letsencrypt/live/test.activitypub.rocks/privkey.pem"))))))
>>
>>      Reconfigure and cross your fingers!
>>
>>   4) At this point I was surprised that it seemed like nginx should have
>>      been working with https since everything was in place, but I
>>      couldn't access it from my browser over https.  Frustrated, I
>>      restarted the server.
>>
>>      And then it worked! :)
>>
>> So, this involved reconfiguring, reconfiguring, reconfiguring, and then
>> a restart, then it worked for me.  (Well, plus a few reconfigures where
>> nothing worked at all because I broke things of course. ;))  I wonder if
>> that can be improved?
>
> I wonder if it is possible to define a custom service which orchestrates
> the execution of nginx and certbot in the way you require, so that you
> can define it all in one place, at once, without needing to reconfigure
> multiple times?

It might be, I dunno!  Maybe in starting the service, if it sees that
the keys have not been generated yet, it pulls up nginx temporarily just
to do the registration with the nginx that doesn't have the keys in it,
does the generation of the keys and verifies them with letsencrypt, then
pulls up the proper nginx at last.

I don't know how easy/feasible this is.

>> That said, it's still really exciting to be able to describe these
>> things declaratively, and to have Guix take care of keeping things
>> renewed for me. :)  Excited to have this landing, and to be that much
>> closer to doing server deployment with GuixSD!
>
> Pretty cool!  Thanks for sharing your experience.  It's always neat to
> read about how people are using the system.

Yeah!  I'm excited to finally move to hosting my servers with GuixSD at
last, after ages of talking about it. ;)