guix-devel

Re: GuixSD bootable ISO-9669 image

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: GuixSD bootable ISO-9669 image
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 21:37:11 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Tue, 02 May 2017 23:11:05 +0200
address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
> OK.  Are these “UUIDs” 160-bit long like the “real” ones?  If they are,
> I’d suggest ignoring the problem for now.

No, unfortunately not.  There's also a similar problem in the FAT support in
the same module.

I think Linux doesn't actually mean real DCE uuids when they say "uuid", so I
don't think pretending that they are real uuids is going to be useful (because
at some point control passes to /dev/disk/by-uuid, parted or grub - which
interpret uuids like they want - which isn't necessarily as real uuids).

So I think the best course of action is to drop the real DCE uuids entirely and
make uuids be free-form strings - like these other programs already decided...

What do you think?