guix-devel

Re: Problems running 'check-system'

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Problems running 'check-system'
Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 16:20:01 +0200

Hi Chris,

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> skribis:

> I think I might have finally found the reason.  When I remove the
> "--pure" from the invocation, the "installed-os" test runs successfully
> on my GuixSD machine.  It seems that, for some reason, "--pure" was the
> cause of the failure.  That's surprising to me, since my expectation was
> that Guix's tests should work just fine in a pure environment.  Could
> this be a bug?

When using ‘--pure’, there’s no ‘git’ command in $PATH.  So my guess
would be that this changes the content of (current-guix), which uses
‘git-predicate’.

In particular, your ‘current-guix’ package ends up including
guile-2.0.9.tar.xz file, because it cannot determine that it’s not under
version control, and then the build process of the ‘guix’ package fails
because this file already exists and is read-only.

QED!  :-)

That’s a limitation of ‘git-predicate’ in its current form.  Eventually
we’ll require ‘guile-git’ and we won’t have that problem.

In the meantime, the workaround is to add Git to your environment:

  guix environment guix --ad-hoc git --pure

Thanks for debugging it, and I HTH!

Ludo’.