guix-devel

Re: store reference detection (was Re: JARs and reference scanning)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: store reference detection (was Re: JARs and reference scanning)
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 13:27:03 +0200

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

>> Jar files can be told to import classes from another Jar by adding it to
>> the “Class-Path” field of the Jar’s manifest.
>>
>> Here’s an example:
>> https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/deployment/jar/downman.html
>
> I didn't know this!  That's awesome; it might be just what we need.
[…]

Thanks for testing this!

One limitation appears to be that this only works for applications, not
for libraries.  This could be a problem for us.  We don’t really need
this urgently for applications if we automatically generate shell
wrappers (as we do for Python executables).

It would be interesting to know if this could be used for libraries as
well, so that the application in the end does not need to know about all
transitive dependencies, but only its first-level dependencies.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net