guix-devel

Re: Planning for the next release

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Planning for the next release
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 07:45:00 +0200

> Hello Guix!
>
> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> It’s time to plan for the next release!  Here’s what we maintainers
>> think should be done for the next release, which would hopefully happen
>> within less than a month:
>>
>>    1. ‘core-updates’ merged.  We’re almost there!
>>
>>    2. ‘wip-installer’ retested, and probably merged.
>>
>>       I think the prerequisite for it would be to do some more testing.
>>       Last time people reported glitches here and there but John has
>>       done quite a bit of work since then.  John: what about doing
>>       another round of tests?
>>
>>       In the installation image, we should probably make the installer
>>       optional and mark it as “beta” or something like that.  That will
>>       leave us time to iron out remaining issues, and will avoid having
>>       people expect a rock-solid Debian-style installer.
>>
>>       As far as review is concerned, we can probably do a quick and
>>       lightweight review process since that’s quite a big chunk of code
>>       and we don’t want the branch to block indefinitely.  So we can do
>>       that quick process, and then incrementally improve it if needed.
>>       I think it’s a reasonable approach given that the installer is
>>       mostly an independent component.
>>
>>       John, everyone: thoughts?
>>
>>    3. UEFI support documented and possibly improved.
>>
>>       We can certainly document the UEFI setup and add the /boot/efi
>>       partition in some of the ‘operating-system’ examples.
>>
>>       The more difficult part is the installation: do we need to make a
>>       second, UEFI-specific, installation image?  When I installed
>>       GuixSD on UEFI, I booted our installation image as “legacy”, but
>>       then GRUB would default to a legacy install, not a UEFI install:
>>
>>         https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-12/msg00799.html
>>
>>       I’m not sure exactly what needs to be done.  Thoughts?
>>
>>    4. Fix low-hanging fruits at <https://bugs.gnu.org/guix>; your help
>>       welcome!
>>
>> Please share your thoughts!
>
> With UEFI (almost) ready, Guile 2.2 in the house, and “make release”,
> should we aim for next week (like Wed. 17th)?  Can we focus on polishing
> the remaining bits and testing?
>
> If the schedule turns out to be too tight, we could move to the week
> after.

I’d like to merge wip-installer, but not start it by default.  It would
be a shame to see the branch bit-rot.

We also need to fix the glibc on hurd (the patch for i686 should not be
applied there), but I haven’t been able to reproduce the failure on
hydra.  https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2036383/nixlog/1/raw

What do you think?

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net