guix-devel

Re: store reference detection (was Re: JARs and reference scanning)

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: store reference detection (was Re: JARs and reference scanning)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 01:19:14 -0700

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Am 02.05.2017 um 14:43 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>>> Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> Right, that’s what I meant by “not at the store level” above.
>>>
>>> Ludo’.
>>  So I propose to add a small text file ".guix-dependencies' to all
>> language's packages which do not add some kind of references themselves:
>> Python, Perl, Java, etc.
>
> I have thought of doing this in the past, but there's another more
> difficult problem that would also need to be solved: how to make
> grafting work for these non-plaintext references.  If grafting doesn't
> work, there's a good chance that software with known security flaws will
> continue to be executed.

That's a good thing to keep in mind.  I think that the references we're
talking about putting into a ".guix-dependencies" file or into an
uncompressed JAR file are in fact "plaintext" in the sense that these
files are not using compression, encryption, esoteric encodings, or
other obfuscations which might defeat the reference scanning or grafting
mechanisms.  I'm not convinced we need these things (a list of
dependencies in ".guix-dependencies" or embedded classpaths in JAR
files), but if we used them, I don't think it would interfere with
reference scanning or grafting.  Would it?

--
Chris