guix-devel

Re: Planning for the next release

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Planning for the next release
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 17:25:53 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> With UEFI (almost) ready, Guile 2.2 in the house, and “make release”,
>> should we aim for next week (like Wed. 17th)?  Can we focus on polishing
>> the remaining bits and testing?
>>
>> If the schedule turns out to be too tight, we could move to the week
>> after.
>
> I’d like to merge wip-installer, but not start it by default.  It would
> be a shame to see the branch bit-rot.

I agree we shouldn’t let it bitrot.  Earlier I suggested postponing it
though, because we wouldn’t have time to test it (nobody is currently
working on it AFAIK):

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-04/msg00491.html

WDYT?

> We also need to fix the glibc on hurd (the patch for i686 should not be
> applied there), but I haven’t been able to reproduce the failure on
> hydra.  https://hydra.gnu.org/build/2036383/nixlog/1/raw

Cross-compilation to GNU/Hurd from x86_64-linux-gnu works:

  $ guix build sed --target=i586-pc-gnu
  /gnu/store/rd2jngvxbyk5a1yy2ysd0d3wwkbw0pmc-sed-4.4

It would be better to fix cross builds from i686 as well.  I can take a
look but I wouldn’t consider it a blocker.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.