guix-devel

Re: how to create and test a new service definition

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: how to create and test a new service definition
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 17:24:13 +0200

> The best way to test your code is to write an ‘operating-system’
> declaration that uses the new service and to instantiate it in a VM with
> ‘guix system vm’.

Should that be working properly (out-of-the-box) when you're already in
a qemu VM (recursive virtualization) ?

I ask because I'm getting:

[...]
ERROR: qemu failed "qemu-system-x86_64"
[...]

> Once you’ve done that, you can also write an automated test for the new
> service; see <https://gnu.org/s/guix/news/guixsd-system-tests.html>.

I'm far from there, I have a *really* hard time getting back to guixsd. For
instance it took me very long time to find back the GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH
env var. This looks under-documented, or I don't understand how one is to
work on custom or new packages, etc...

guix edit is throwing me :
E166: Can't open linked file for writing

Looks like I'm missing something big.

--
Vincent Legoll