guix-devel

Re: Planning for the next release

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Planning for the next release
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 15:14:07 -0400

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 03:59:24PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:
> > If possible, I would appreciate if the release included a QEMU image
> > that we could offer to VPS hosters like serveraptor.com, as discussed in
> > this thread:
> >
> > If the maintainers want to try for this, I'm happy to help prepare a
> > system declaration and test it.

I'll work on the system declaration shortly. I think it should take some
parts from installation-os from (gnu system install), but the
file-systems can be simplified, and the packages reduced.

> The main “difficulty” would be to adjust the “Download” page on the web
> site, the instructions in the manual, “make release”, and to come up
> with a clear file name for the new image.

I think the name should be "guixsd-vm-image-VERSION", since this follows
the convention established with `guix system vm-image`.

I've attached some rough patches for guix.git and guix-artwork.git.

I'm confused about `make release`. The for-loop that builds the disk
images doesn't seem to set up offloading or actually build the images
for the different values of $SUPPORTED_SYSTEMS [0]. Am I missing this
somewhere?

For the web-site, I'm struggling to set up a development environment
where I can run (export-web-site) and test my changes.

[0]
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/Makefile.am?id=e0b2e93005188ab4d6c7413a27832ba2fb7388e8#n608