guix-devel

RE: Creating a reliable bootstrap for building from source

From: Jeremiah
Subject: RE: Creating a reliable bootstrap for building from source
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 15:54:27 -0400

> Thinking about it, what I want to achieve is that we can take the
> latest git tree and bootstrap by building guix and packages. This
> should be easy, since I have guix running, but it is not. And the main
> trouble is that the underlying build packages can differ over time. I
> am looking at gcc versions and guile versions.  I.e., we are building
> on shifting sands. How unguixy!

It is worse than that, Janneke and I are still trying to build out a
full source bootstrap.

Now mind you we have gotten quite a bit down that rabbit hole.
( I've build from a hex monitor to a Lexically scoped garbage
compacting/collecting lisp and Janneke built his rather impressive MES
which already supports large parts of the C language and enough to
bootstrap some rather important pieces)

But there still are many gaps left to close (how to bootstrap a 280 byte
hex monitor without a hex monitor or hex assembler, stage0-vm
downstrapping, MES tinycc bootstrapping, MES lisp bootstrapping, etc)

but ultimately shifting sands are the only grounds we can be certain
will be there.

So we better get comfortable minimizing our assumptions.

-Jeremiah