guix-devel

Re: shepherd -> guile 2.2?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: shepherd -> guile 2.2?
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 15:02:28 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have built shepherd with guile-2.2, but I noticed a couple of
> warnings/errors during the build:

I’m pretty sure those warnings are due to  IOFBF and friends.  They’ll
haunt us for years to come.  :-)

(But you can happily ignore them.)

> And lastly: should we keep a guile-2.0 variant of the shepherd, or is it
> fine to push this tiny change?

No, we can do that in ‘core-updates’ only.

The reason is that we import code in the Shepherd, via the gexps in the
‘start’ and ‘stop’ fields of <shepherd-service>, and those modules are
currently built with ‘default-guile’, which is 2.0 in master and 2.2 in
‘core-updates’.

So yeah, in ‘core-updates’, we can happily move the Shepherd and mcron
to 2.2, but not in ‘master’.

Ludo’.