guix-devel

Re: Rethinking guix pull [was Re: Heads-up: transition to Guile 2.2]

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Rethinking guix pull [was Re: Heads-up: transition to Guile 2.2]
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 19:45:17 -0400

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 01:46:16PM -0400, myglc2 wrote:
> ISTM these can be addressed ...
>
> - behind: save everything hydra builds, or at least the last few
>   installation images. Can't we just accomplish this by never doing
>   "guix gc" on hydra?

We need more storage!

> - new-commit: Here we want hydra to build every commit that lands in the
>   guix git repo, prioritizing some branches (e.g. master) over others.

We need more computational power, especially in non-Intel-compatible
architectures (ARM 32 and 64-bit, and MIPS). Also, if we did something
like this, we would not want to build from every commit. Perhaps every
push. And only for master; branches like core-updates tend to collect
untested patches for a while before we start trying to build the branch.
There's no point trying to build every package from branches in that
state.