guix-devel

Re: Rethinking guix pull [was Re: Heads-up: transition to Guile 2.2]

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Rethinking guix pull [was Re: Heads-up: transition to Guile 2.2]
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 08:54:19 -0500

Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think that a first step towards improving the experience with “guix
>> pull” is to build Guix continuously on Hydra and tell “guix pull” to
>> download that.  Users would no longer have to wait for compilation on
>> their local machines, removing a big incentive to go with a git
>> checkout.  Maybe we should do this first to stop the worst problems,
>> buying us a bit more time to implement channels.
>
> +1

+1. I have recently been considering setting up a mirror so that my
various machines running Guix don't all have to compile the same
thing. If pull worked like this, I probably wouldn't have to.

One question: for packages I really care about, how would I get the
latest/greatest? guix pull; guix package --fallback -u foo?

--
Katherine