guix-devel

Re: WARNING: loading compiled file activation.go failed: ERROR: not an E

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: WARNING: loading compiled file activation.go failed: ERROR: not an ELF file
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 11:05:21 +0200

Hi,

myglc2 <address@hidden> skribis:

> The warning/error shown below sounds alarming but seems to be
> harmless. But it leaves me wondering, is there a way to fix it?
>
> TIA - George
>
> address@hidden ~/con/4# guix system --fallback --cores=4 --max-jobs=4
> reconfigure sys.scm
> [...]
> activating system...
> ;;; WARNING: loading compiled file
> /gnu/store/zaj3a5fsxjalirfypz6hn7hx3vc9d5kp-module-import-compiled/gnu/build/activation.go
>  failed:
> ;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
> ;;; WARNING: loading compiled file
> /gnu/store/zaj3a5fsxjalirfypz6hn7hx3vc9d5kp-module-import-compiled/gnu/build/activation.go
>  failed:
> ;;; ERROR: In procedure load-thunk-from-memory: not an ELF file
> making '/gnu/store/fz77c02mf1dh84zj5vxfswcq1m3ibhxz-system' the current
> system...
> [...]
> Installation finished. No error reported.

Contrary to what the messages say, these are actually warnings. ;-)
They come from Guile 2.2 complaining that it stumbled upon Guile 2.0 .go
files:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-04/msg00515.html

(The warnings didn’t prevent ‘guix system reconfigure’ from completing.)

>From now on, you should make sure you only have 2.2 .go files around.
If you use ‘guix pull’, that means that you have to run ‘guix pull’.

If instead ~/.config/guix/latest is a symlink to a checkout that you
made yourself, then make sure to “make clean && make” with Guile 2.2.

HTH!

Ludo’.