guix-devel

Re: What’s next?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: What’s next?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 15:23:40 +0200

> Hello Guix!
>
> I think it’s time to think about what we want to work on next, ideally
> before the next release, and ideally said release should be in a couple
> of months rather than in 5 months.  Here are some important items I can
> think of:

[…]

Excellent points!

> I think the key idea is that we should fix all the annoyances and bugs,
> many of which seasoned Guix hackers more or less got used to, but which
> are nevertheless a serious hindrance when using Guix “normally.”

Here are some other annoyances:

* the verbosity of reporting hash mismatches.  You posted a neat little
  change for that some time ago, but I cannot find it any more.

* texlive.  I’m working on splitting the package up.  (An aggressive
  firewall at work put a stop to that work, but I’ll try to resume very
  soon.)

* very explicit but cryptic stack traces.  I think that all errors
  should be reported more nicely.  The error can still be printed (on
  demand?), but Guix probably should not spill its innards too readily.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net