guix-devel

Re: What’s next?

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: What’s next?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 18:09:04 +0200

Hello Guix!

I think it’s time to think about what we want to work on next, ideally

one little ting I'd love is Janneke's and Jlicht's solution to use "binary" nodejs packages

That would allow me to play with some projects that depend on nodejs

The problem of evaluating the adherence of the nodejs collection to the Guix diistribution guidelines could be faced later ( I posted a thread that I think is relevant in this regard)

  • ‘guix offload’ terrible bug: <https://bugs.gnu.org/26976>.

  • Guile 2.2 compiler terrible issue:
    <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2017-05/msg00033.html>.

terrible bugs are terrible bugs. They should be regarded as priorities

  • Improve the UI: add colors (yay!), hide build logs by default for
    most commands, improve progress reports, display how much will be
    downloaded, etc.

This might be regarded as a small thing but to me this is very important
I use to watch Fedora's colorful terminals with longing

I think the key idea is that we should fix all the annoyances and bugs,
many of which seasoned Guix hackers more or less got used to, but which
are nevertheless a serious hindrance when using Guix “normally.”

yeah