guix-devel

Re: interesting thread

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: interesting thread
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 18:17:19 +0200

Catonano writes:

> no comments ?

I saw this message, had a quick look and a frown...

> I was so enthsiast of aving discovered this

Can you summarize what's to get enthousiastic about?

>     https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2017May/0005.html
>
>     they published the metadata about the WHOLE collection of packaged in npm
> !!

Having looked into npm and worked on the guix npm importer, I found that
even the some of the most trivial packages cannot be built from source.
Cyclic dependencies in the build systems.

So after having tried to get npm into GuixSD, I'm at the point of giving
up on npm and am planning to migrate away from it.

I can hardly imagine...but does this report in any way hint that some
packages can be built from source and how to do that?

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar® http://AvatarAcademy.com