guix-devel

Re: What’s next?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: What’s next?
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 12:09:28 +0200

Hi!

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> skribis:

> A friend of mine is having a second look at Guix (not SD yet) and one of
> the most confusing things initially is `guix pull'.  "When/how do I use
> that," he asks...and I can only say: I'm not using that...I think we
> want this to work--or something like this, we talked about this at
> FOSDEM, but AFAIK everyone is using Guix with Git.
>
> He responds with: then *why* is it in the manual.  I have no answer.
> Possibly I'm wrong and/or my information is outdated?

I think there’s a lot of (well deserved, as far as its implementation
goes) badmouthing against ‘guix pull’ on #guix ;-), but nevertheless, I
think it’s a useful tool for users who don’t want to manage their own
Guix checkout etc. by themselves.

The manual does mention in several places what it’s for, I think.

Ludo’.