guix-devel

Re: What's next?

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: What's next?
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 22:15:21 +0200

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 05:19:09PM +0200, Ludovic Courtes wrote:
> > A `substitute' is available for this package on
> > https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org.  This means we can download the binary
> > output for this package, instead of compiling it from its source code.
> > Do you want to use this substitute server with key ... for this package,
> > and for future packages? [y/N]
>
> It cannot work this way because the decision has to be made by the
> sysadmin, not by unprivileged users.

The first time guix is run it is by a system administrator (almost
100% certain), typically from a binary installation.

> Also, I like that 'guix package' is non-interactive.

Sure. But it is a step that is not required on GuixSD. The key comes
with the base install of the guix package.

Can't we just fetch the key from the store? Why does it have to be
/etc? First look in /etc. If that does not exist, fetch from the guix
package itself. It is there. /etc overrides the key in the store.

Now it is a needless manual step. I say, it is an easy thing to
automate. Automate if you can.

Maybe not the highest priority, but if we come with a solution it
should be easy to do.

Pj.