guix-devel

Re: new manifest format readers?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: new manifest format readers?
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 16:15:24 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ricardo Wurmus writes:

[...]

>> ;; Boilerplate code to turn the above list of packages into a manifest
>> (use-modules (gnu packages))
>> (packages->manifest (map (compose list specification->package+output)
>> packages))
>
> Yes, I finally found this and it is not very friendly/discoverable.

Agreed.  How about making these two changes:

  1. Include (gnu packages) in the default evaluation environment of
     manifests.

  2. (define (package-specifications->manifest specs)
       (packages->manifest (map (compose list specification->package+output)
                           specs)))

Thoughts?

(To be clear, my suggestion is to do this in addition to adding support
for a new format.)

Ludo’.