guix-devel

Re: guixsd in lxd container

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guixsd in lxd container
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 13:41:06 +0200

Hi Eddy,

Sorry for the delay.

Eddy Pronk <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 6:26 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I had to comment out some snippets from activation.scm:
>>>
>>> ;; activate-modprobe
>>> ;; activate-firmware
>>> ;; activate-ptrace-attach
>>
>> Yeah, ‘guix system container’ does that too:
>>
>>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/system.scm#n418
>>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services.scm#n466
>>
>> I think we should look for ways that would allow you to reuse what ‘guix
>> system container’ does.
>
> Shall I open a bug for this so it can be tracked?

Before, I’d like to make sure we have a good understanding of what we
need.

My first question would be, do we really need to have a mechanism other
than ‘guix system container’?  I guess that if the host system runs LXD,
it’s better to use it than to spawn the script that ‘guix system
container’ generates.

In that case, what about adding an LXD backend to ‘guix system
container’?  AIUI LXD has a REST API¹; by doing a POST on /1.0/images,
we should be able to register our container image, though it’s not clear
to me what image format is expected.  If we can figure out these
details, it might not be that hard to implement.

Dave, there’s also some overlap with your work on ‘guix deloy’ I think.
Thoughts?

Ludo’.

¹ https://github.com/lxc/lxd/blob/master/doc/rest-api.md