guix-devel

Re: RPC performance

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: RPC performance
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 16:25:03 +0200

> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> There are several ways we can improve it, and over time we should try to
>> implement all of them:
>>
>>   1. Buffer writes to the server socket (currently it’s terrible if you
>>      look at the ‘write’ calls in ‘strace’).
>
> Could you test the effect of the patch below?  It reduces the number of
> ‘write’ calls from 9.5K to 2.0K on “guix build python2-numpy”.

I have tried it but my setup is way too variable to allow me to compare
performance changes.  For “guix build bwa” when “bwa” has already been
built I get waiting times between 6 and 42 seconds.  Any improvement
would disappear in this terribly wide range.

I will soon have access to a new NFS share on a separate server and with
disabled read timestamps, which I hope will be more reliable.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net