guix-devel

Re: Xorg tearing fix on Intel HD Graphics 4000

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Xorg tearing fix on Intel HD Graphics 4000
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 12:38:56 +0200

Hi Roel,

> With the following patch to the Xorg configuration file, I have a
> tear-free GuixSD experience.  I wonder if this is upstreameable in some
> way.  This patch is probably too broad in effect.  Can I change it so
> that only the graphics card I have will be affected by this patch?

I’m not sure about this, but you can apply it only to your system by
changing the slim-service’s “startx” value like this:

    (modify-services %desktop-services
      (slim-service-type
       config => (slim-configuration
                  (inherit config)
                  (startx (xorg-start-command
                           #:configuration-file
                           (xorg-configuration-file
                            #:extra-config
                            (list your-fix)))))))

But I suppose what you want is to apply it unconditionally in Guix and
have the X server ignore it for all but this one graphics card, right?

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net