guix-devel

Re: Building AbiWord without libwmf and removing libwmf from Guix

From: ng0
Subject: Re: Building AbiWord without libwmf and removing libwmf from Guix
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2017 08:12:10 +0000

Ludovic Courtès transcribed 0.9K bytes:
> Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:

> >> +1
> >
> > Something to consider is that many of our packages can be described as
> > unmaintained and full of bugs. And even the packages that are maintained
> > may be full of bugs, too.
>
> True.  The best solution would be for our OS to run every program in an
> isolated environment, like Plash or like Qubes.  That would allow us to
> live with these bugs somewhat more peacefully.  We should work in that
> direction, maybe using containers, which are imperfect but readily
> available and an improvement over the status quo.

Speaking of Qubes, Joanna and the team around her picked Xen as a kernel
for a reason. There are multiple approaches in all the projects, most being
present and exchanging on the secure-os mailinglist: https://secure-os.org/

The solution for Guix might only apply to Guix, but for discussion of the
concept Guix wants to use beyond current containers we have or even the
improvement of them it could help to discuss this topic on the list.

[…]

--
ng0
OpenPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588