guix-devel

Re: Xorg tearing fix on Intel HD Graphics 4000

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Xorg tearing fix on Intel HD Graphics 4000
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:39:02 +0200

Roel Janssen <address@hidden> writes:

> Marius Bakke writes:
>
>> William <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> The Arch Wiki says that Debian and some others suggest uninstalling
>>> xf86-video-intel and relying on the modesetting driver.
>>>
>>> I have personally found this to help with tearing, but naturally YMMV.
>>>
>>> See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Installation
>>> for more details.
>>
>> Many distros default to using the built-in xorg modesetting driver.
>>
>> https://tjaalton.wordpress.com/2016/07/23/intel-graphics-gen4-and-newer-now-defaults-to-modesetting-driver-on-x/
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/IntelKMS
>>
>> Could those affected by this bug see if it works for them? Maybe we
>> should follow suit.
>
> Maybe I did this the wrong way, but here's what I placed in my config.scm:
>
> (kernel-arguments (list "modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr" "quiet" "rhgb"
>                         "thinkpad_acpi.fan_control=1" "i195.modeset=1"))

You would have to prevent Xorg from selecting the "intel" driver. E.g.
by passing #:drivers to (xorg-configuration-file ...). I think changing
'Driver "intel"' to 'Driver "modesetting"' in the configuration snippet
you pasted earlier would also override the autoload order.

Can you also check if adding "Option TearFree" works with SNA?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics#Tear-free_video