guix-devel

Re: Xorg tearing fix on Intel HD Graphics 4000

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Xorg tearing fix on Intel HD Graphics 4000
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 10:55:58 +0200

On Wed 21 Jun 2017 09:55, Roel Janssen <address@hidden> writes:

> For a long time now, I have a tearing issue on GuixSD (parts of the
> screen do not get updated while others do, resulting in dissapearing
> text in Emacs).

Thank you for this work!  I notice this since a month ago and haven't
had time to delve into it.  Horrible stuff.

I wonder if it makes sense to update the intel driver to see if it fixed
it?  Then perhaps we could avoid the hack.  There are commits here that
touch SNA and things that look like they could be relevant:

  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/log/

As you probably know, the intel driver doesn't get proper releases :(
You just have to take a tag from git.  That's what we do now and perhaps
updating the driver could fix this bug.

Andy