guix-devel

Re: Looking to contribute

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Looking to contribute
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 08:46:17 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> I'm a mathematician, which means I'm lazy and want to do things the
> right way once so I don't have to do them again. The way that modern
> operating systems work, with their one huge environment and no
> tracking of state, is insane and unsustainable. (How many times have
> I wasted a Saturday morning trying to get audio work on a new Gentoo
> install?) Stateless, declarative systems seem to be the obvious way
> forward.
>
> I'm a big fan of Alan Kay, and one thing he always made clear is that
> there should be no separation between the language and the operating
> system. I've found that many of the problems which plague modern OSes
> are the same which plague C. Which is why a system which sits on top
> of Scheme, one of the most powerful programming paradigms we have,
> is so appealing.
>
> More concretely, I can be of the most help with:
> - Texlive and dealing with pdf stuff (cairo, etc)
> - Emacs
> - Networking
> But realy I'll try to help wherever it's needed, because this project
> should be a reality.

I have nothing meaningful to contribute except to say that I appreciate
and agree with this line of thinking.

I have also found this to be a wonderful, warm, and welcoming community
doing great work. The only thing I don't like is that I haven't been
able to find time to contribute :)

Welcome!

--
Katherine