guix-devel

Re: Bootloader trouble during installation

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Bootloader trouble during installation
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 19:35:09 +0200

Hi Andrew,

there should be a BIOS setup option that indicates whether the BIOS is supposed
to use EFI (I think you can also set up boot cryptographic keys in there
somewhere, so around there).

According to
http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/at/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x270/downloads/ds120442
 it has UEFI.

How did you boot previously?

> For the bootloader, I am attempting to use legacy boot, not UEFI. I realize
> that
> fdisk below identifies /dev/sda2 as an EFI system, but

>this seems to automatically happen when I set boot to on in parted.

Really?  Didn't happen to me - but I have Libreboot so no idea what it does for
UEFI.

UEFI is kinda annoying to use and disable.  But if it doesn't boot anyway, try
setting the grub package to grub-efi in the config (and then invoke "guix
system reconfigure config.scm") to make it use UEFI.  Can't hurt...

Otherwise I think you have to manually disable UEFI in the BIOS setup or
something...

But I only used UEFI once on another person's laptop (customer...), so I don't
know much about it.  I added Ludo, who more recently used UEFI, to Cc  :)

> Device         Start       End   Sectors  Size Type
> /dev/sda1       2048      6143      4096    2M BIOS boot

> /dev/sda2       6144    268287    262144  128M EFI System

This should be a FAT partition.  If you want you can mount it and check it
out...

If there are ".EFI" files there, it's UEFI.

> Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name  Flags
>  1      1049kB  3146kB  2097kB                  grub  bios_grub
>  2      3146kB  137MB   134MB   ext4            boot  boot, esp

Yeah, "esp" for EFI system partition.

>   (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))

Try (bootloader (grub-configuration (grub grub-efi) (device "/dev/sda"))) if
you want...