guix-devel

Re: self hosting hardware

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: self hosting hardware
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 12:48:04 +0200

Je 2017-07-12 09:19, Catonano skribis:

In the next autumn/winter I would like to try to set up a self hosting solution

And I'd love it to be GuixSD based

I need some help with selecting the hardware that fits the goal
Hardware is not exactly my thing

A Beaglebone board (or equivalent) ? An Intel NUC (or equivalent) ?

It should probably serve a collection of static files over https, have a smtp server and an IRC bouncher.

Optionally I'd like it to run some bittorrent or rsync or synchthing or ipfs or DAT and a Gnunet node.

I'd love to be able to attach some external hard drives to it, both traditionl hard drives and SSDs.

In the last few years the ADSL that serves my apartment has improved dramatically

It used to be 300 Kb/s in upload for years

Now it's around 19 Mb/s

The optic fiber cord reached the cabinet just aside the building main entrance

The copper fragment is now only a few meters.

So I could use some hardware suggestions to set up such a solution based on GuixSD

It has to be cheap AND moderate in electricity consumption, possibly like a home router (or something)

Thanks for any hint

Hello,

if you have some space and you are not afraid by noise, I would go for a homemade computer.
That would allow you to add network cards if you need and lot of hard drives.

If you go for a NUC or a mini-itx computer, that will not allow you to upgrade, and you may be limited to
1x 2.5" disk + 1x SSD in m3 format.

You just need :

- a processor (pentium/celeron, cheap and works well, and won't consume much)
- hard drive
- motherboard (you can by a cheap motherboard, look at the number of SATA ports)
- case (cheapest possible)
- power supply (buy a good one but not with a lot of power, 80+ standards can help to choose)
- 2x memory (2/4/8 Gb as you want)

Ok, no exotic hardware

Thanks, Solène !