guix-devel

Re: [directory-discuss] guix tags that could be automatically extracted

From: ng0
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] guix tags that could be automatically extracted
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 12:07:43 +0000

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice transcribed 4.2K bytes:
> Quiliro,
>
> [Not-cross-posting this to guix-devel.]
>
> On 16/07/17 03:35, Quiliro Ordonez Baca wrote:
> > Using:
> > 'guix package --show=emacs'
> > for example, it is possible to get a lot of information from a
> > package. It could be used to include in the Directory. Or it could be
> > the other way around: guix could extract information from the Directory
> > in order to define packages.
>
> This might make an interesting option to ‘guix import’, if only to give
> packagers something to start with. I'm not sure if it would result in
> enough useful hits to make it worthwhile. On the other hand, there's
> only one way to find out.

What I expressed last night:

I don't want any additions to the connections made without the consent
of people using guix.
What exactly does this mean?
Everything should be within Guix. The default should be to *not* call
some mediawiki for more information. If we even have the option to query
this mediawiki and the information doesn't have to be present in guix
like translations, I want it to be optional and you have to opt-in to
(receiving) these (informations).

Please discuss this either on guix-devel or on the other list, but don't
CC me into one of the famous gnu.org cross-posting discussions. Thanks
for your consideration.

--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588