guix-devel

Re: Should guix-emacs-autoload-packages use GUIX_ENVIRONMENT?

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: Should guix-emacs-autoload-packages use GUIX_ENVIRONMENT?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 21:40:30 -0400

Marius Bakke <address@hidden> writes:

> Wait, isn't this what --pure is for?  I haven't followed the
> discussion, but I would expect `guix environment` to *add* to my
> current profile, and use '--pure' if I want a "clean" environment.

I think the behavior here is unspecified because --pure is about
unsetting shell variables while this is about how the load-path and
autoloads are set up within an environment's Emacs instance.
Conceptually, though, I agree that a --pure flag would match
guix-emacs-autoload-packages considering only the environment's Emacs
packages, whereas no --pure flag would match adding the environment's to
the current profile's.

But in the discussion so far, I've been assuming that currently there's
not a direct way for guix-emacs-autoload-packages to detect if --pure
was given.  If that's not true, I'd be happy with the behavior you
propose.

--
Kyle