guix-devel

Re: revert perl-5.26.0 update?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: revert perl-5.26.0 update?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 14:11:57 -0400

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 11:03:50AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi Efraim,
>
> Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > There's a lot of perl related build failures. Maybe it would be better
> > to revert the perl update and work on updating perl and all the perl
> > modules separately. It seems to me that there are a large number of perl
> > packages that haven't been updated in quite some time.
>
> Reverting is not an option at this point IMO.  There are several Date::*
> modules required by Biber that FTBFS and need an update, indeed, but I
> think we should rather find a way to fix them (I spent a bit of time on
> it but then moved on to something else.)
>
> Thoughts?

I'll work on building Biber now.

Are there any other failing Perl modules that we *need* to fix? I think
we can't achieve zero regressions from an update like this, especially
since so many of these modules seem to lack an active upstream. So, if
Guix users care about them, they should speak up now :)