guix-devel

Re: NetworkManager instead of Wicd in ‘%desktop-services’?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: NetworkManager instead of Wicd in ‘%desktop-services’?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 21:31:12 +0300

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 04:50:58PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> Shouldn’t we replace Wicd with NetworkManager in ‘%desktop-services’?
>
> I’ve given it a try on a GuixSD GNOME installation and it appears to
> work well, and it’s obviously well-integrated with GNOME, whereas Wicd
> is a bit hidden (one has to know what to look for) and “foreign.”
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Now, as someone who doesn’t use GNOME, I wonder if NM would work well
> for me.  Last time I tried it’s CLI was too low-level to be usable, and
> I don’t remember seeing a curses interface.  Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

For its integration with gnome to me it makes sense to have our gnome
desktop use network manager. I'm currently using connman on my debian
system. I'm not sure I'd really recommend it, but I've found it to be
easier to use than raw command line ifconfig and dhclient.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר