guix-devel

Re: NetworkManager instead of Wicd in ???%desktop-services????

From: ng0
Subject: Re: NetworkManager instead of Wicd in ???%desktop-services????
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 18:52:55 +0000

Pjotr Prins transcribed 0.9K bytes:
> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 05:18:59PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > Ludovic Court??s writes:
> >
> > > Now, as someone who doesn???t use GNOME, I wonder if NM would work well
> > > for me.  Last time I tried it???s CLI was too low-level to be usable, and
> > > I don???t remember seeing a curses interface.  Suggestions?
> >
> > I would welcome some improvement here, or insight on my part.  Since I
> > moved away from desktop environments, wicd has not not worked for me and
> > I have been using ifconfig, wpa_supplicant and dhclient manually.  That
> > has removed my dependency on something like NM and it's apparent
> > inherent magic...but it's rather painful.
>
> I actually prefer doing it this way. wpa_supplicant with multiple
> config files is the way when you travel a lot. No confusion between
> phone tethering, eduroam and multiple wifi networks. Until these NM
> tools start offering profiles... And general connecting is faster too.
>
> Pj.

But we're discussing desktop-environments here, not minimal stripped
down WMs and their use cases.
Do you suggest we tell people to just use the CLI or "add one of the
following choices of network connectivity tools and their services"?
That won't work out very well in practice.
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588