guix-devel

Re: How to add KDE desktop service?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: How to add KDE desktop service?
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 22:09:26 +0200

Hi Hartmut,

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 21:38:30 +0200
Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> wrote:

>I thing it's time to (at least try to) add a KDE desktop service to Guix

> Now I wonder, how to do this. Taking gnome-desktop-service as a
> template, I can spot only "gnome-settings-daemon" as being different to
> xfce-desktop-service. So where do I tell the service which
> display-manager to use, or which components to install and start.

Hmmm not sure what exactly "components" means.  Are those dbus services?

I'm not a KDE user so I have no idea what kind of runtime infrastructure KDE
requires.

Also, the display manager is the part which allows users to login, right?
That's (supposed to be) independent of the desktop environment in use.

Check out gnu/services/desktop.scm elogind-service-type for a more involved
service.

It uses the service extension mechanism to extend other services.

You might want to use that mechanism to extend dbus-root-service-type in
kde-service-type in order to add dbus kde stuff (if any; no idea).  You can
also extend shepherd-root-service-type in order to add shepherd services.

The display manage I use is managed by slim-service-type (see also
%desktop-services where it defaults to slim).  It looks for desktops that it
can start in /run/current-system/profile/share/xsessions .  If you put a KDE
package which provides desktop files in share/xsessions to your /etc/config.scm
"operating-system" "packages" form, a new entry will show up in SLIM (press F1
key).

In the case of xfce, xfce-service-configuration refers to the package "xfce" by
default.  This package does an union-build of many other packages, including
xfce4-session, the latter of which is the one installing the desktop file into
/run/current-system/profile/share/xsessions .