guix-devel

core-updates: biber

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: core-updates: biber
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2017 18:56:29 -0400

On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 04:23:43PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> Ricardo added biber-2.5 in 253cdd6c1464c944be2418ee9161f5f5b57e0eee.
> Ricardo, can you check if it's still necessary?

I tried to find out myself, but the location of the relevant information
is not documented in our packaging.

> > Another option might be to mass-escape left braces in the Biber code,
> > but that’s probably not that easy…
>
> I'll try it. The upstream changes suggest it might not be that hard.

After looking at the relevant changes in biber, I think the whole
compatibility situation is very brittle. The biber test suite hard-codes
hashes that are generated by 3rd party tools, but those tools' output
changes periodically. Somebody who uses biber needs to figure out what
should be done with biber-2.5 and test it.